Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Chickens

On Good Friday, Skippy and I went to Tractor Supply to look for some gardening items I needed. We did not find what I was looking for, but we did come across something even BETTER! They had one tub of baby ducks and two tubs and one big barrel, full of baby chicks. They were so BEAUTIFUL! They were so tiny, all of which were only one day old.

Skippy and I have been looking at different kinds of chickens to add to our gradually growing farm. It is my goal to expand our "family" a little at a time. Eventually, I want goats and some cattle as well. We have 4 1/2 acres so we have the room to do it. It is our homestead and we are striving for self sufficiency, and with God's help, I know we will get there one day!

We have decided to go with Rhode Island Reds as they are are tough birds, resistant to illness, good at foraging and free ranging, and typically docile and quiet. I have been told, and have read, that these are gentle birds, that are friendly and good natured. This was a MAJOR deciding factor for us since I wanted a bird that would be easy for Kiddo to work with. I didn't want to look out the kitchen window and see Kiddo running by, being chased by a chicken. Although I do have to admit, that image in my head is hysterically funny! ROFLOL!

Rhode Island Reds are rarely broody. They are a utility bird, being raised for meat and eggs. (only for eggs, here) They are a popular choice for backyard flocks because of their egg laying abilities ( laying up to 260 eggs per year) even through cold periods,but if the coop temperature drops below freezing (0 °C (32 °F)), their output drops considerably, and the tips of their combs become very susceptible to frostbite

They are a beautiful breed, I must say. I just love the coloring of these birds. Their feathers are rust-colored, but darker shades are known, including maroon, bordering on black. Their eyes are red-orange and they have yellow feet, with reddish-brown beaks.

I want to get a rooster as well, but Skippy's not too keen on the idea at the moment. Once we get the chickens and is around them, I think he will just fall in love with them like I have and will eventually come around to having another "male" around the house!

7 comments:

  1. I have a memory of being 5 or so and going with my grandma to the farm to get chickens...For eating...And one that had its head lopped off, chased me around the yard. I had enough of that!! Now having chickens for eggs, I could get into that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    Love that you are adding to your ever growing family. Here is hoping that your chickens will produce never ending eggs for you and that they will bless you in numerous other ways.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool...I'd love to have chickens for eggs, but we'd have to move first :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, thank you for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, Chickens...how fun is that! We had roosters and chickens as a young girl on my parents farm. You just brought back many happy memories for me!!
    xxoo
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you did chickens. You should check out my friend Technodoll at Bubblegum diaries.
    I love following her and her chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would get used to the chickens before you get a cockerel. I like the idea, but it means you don't know which of your eggs have been fertilized, unless you can keep your cockerel and some of the hens totally separate.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!