Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Homemade Bread Crumbs

Any time I can make something myself instead of store bought, I jump at the chance. One of the things Skippy and I have been making ourselves is bread crumbs. We use them a lot and the expense can add up quickly, so for this "frugal female" it was just a given.

Making our own things means we can adjust them to our own liking, our taste buds. We can add more of this or less of that, although in our house it's usually MORE OF THIS! lol

For the bread crumbs, you can use any kind of bread you like. I like to use stale baguettes because the work wonderfully in my grinder. I use other breads as well, but that's my favorite to use. You can check with your local supermarket or bakery and see if they will sell you their "day old" breads. There's nothing wrong with them and you can get them at a "fraction" of the cost.

If you are using regular bread, you can toast it in your toaster or even in your oven, whichever works best for you. And please remember.....these recipes can be altered to fit the tastes of your family. I like a LOT of flavor in my bread crumbs so I just keep adding. You make like less of flavor, so you may choose to add less. Make it your own!!

For our bread crumbs you will need:

4 cups of ground or crushed bread crumbs
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons course ground black pepper
5 tablespoons Italian seasoning
*****I usually use dried parsley and oregano from the garden but I ran out :(

Add all ingredients into a gallon zip-lock bag and shake. Store in an airtight container. Use at your convenience!

I made this batch yesterday and then used some in my meatballs for dinner! YUMMM!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm, homemade bread crumbs! I'm gonna go home and tell Mathew (my 18 year old who LOVES to cook) about this and see if he wants to try some out!

    Thanks for the tips!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    andrea

    PS: Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!