Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Famous St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake

Two weeks ago, my daughter surprised her mother-in-law and I with tickets to go see Paula Deen in Washington, DC. Paula was appearing at a food convention along with GUY FIERRI and a couple of others from The Food Network! She brought a few special guests with her; her husband Michael, and her sons Jamie and Bobbi. WOOT! WOOT!

Anyway, Paula talked about her Ooooey, Goooey Cake and some of the different variations of it. Well, let me tell you.....that was all that has been on mind ever since.

I have read a couple of different ways you can make this, including using cream cheese or a butter cake mix. In this recipe I didn't use either one.

The legend about the cake's origin is included in Saint Louis Days...Saint Louis Nights , a cookbook published in the mid-1990s by the Junior League of St. Louis.

The cake was supposedly first made by accident in the 1930s by a St. Louis-area German American baker who was trying to make regular cake batter but reversed the proportions of sugar and flour. I don't know about you, but I am extremely THANKFUL for this mistake! :> )

For this SCRUMPDILLYICIOUS confection, you will need the following:

THE CRUST:

1 cup all-purpose flour (I used unbleached flour)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened

THE FILLING:

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used unbleached flour)
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350*. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar to prepare the crust. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Pat into the bottom and sides of a greased 9 x 9 inch pan.

To prepare the filling, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in egg until combined. A bit at a time, alternately add the flour and evaporated milk, mixing after each addition. Add corn syrup and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until well blended.

Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cake is nearly set. Do not overcook. Let cool in pan.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I am going to have to try making. I've been in a baking frenzy lately.

    God Bless,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Momma!!!
    What a treasure this one is.....I'll have to make it for sure. I have only had the one you make with cream cheese and a cake mix. This one sounds PERFECT!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this looks delicious! And about my hubby, lol, I don't guarantee he'll ever do something like that again but I truly appreciate Nick for doing the closet this time!

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!