Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Monday, January 4, 2010

A Day On The Frontier

UPDATE:

Skippy, I'm your biggest fan. We now have water.............
YOU DAH MAYAN!
:~ )


For the past couple of weeks, we have had a problem with a switch for our well. When this switch is tripped, we lose all our water. Skippy then has to go underneath in the dark, in the CoLd, to flip it back.

Well, last night the switch died altogether and we had no water. I ran out to Wal-Mart at 10:30 to get 11 gallons of water to drink, cook with, and to flush the toilets with, since I didn't know how long we would be without water.

I have always wanted to live on the frontier and today I got my wish. Boiling snow for water on the wood stove so I can do laundry in a bucket......LOVE IT! :> ) I know, call me weird!! lol We had plenty of shirts and pants to wear but I wanted to make sure we had clean undergarments and socks so I headed out on my mission.



I used the 5 gallon bucket I make my laundry detergent in. Since I was at the bottom of it, I just added the water to the detergent already in the bucket.




Between getting the snow..............









boiling the water............







and washing and rinsing, it had taken me over 2 1/2 hours.







And that was just for 16 pairs of underwear and 11 pairs of socks.






Can you believe all the dirt in that water? I guess it's a good thing we can't see all that when we use the washing machine. BLECH!

What amazing ladies those pioneer women must have been!


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post, Laura. thanks for sharing. Loved the way you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you on Deborahs blog and was intriqued with your blog name. I love a resourceful person! How cool! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine living like that on a daily basis! I hope you're getting that fixed soon. We are certainly spoiled in all this modernization, aren't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I don't think I would. I like my washer & dryer too much. We lived with a well and cistern growing up and I remember too many times of having to watch water usuage to close and/or having to flush the toilet with a bucket of water that we had to get by going out and hand pumping the well.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!