Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Bartering Making A Comeback


BARTERING: a medium in which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods and/or services without a common unit of exchange (without the use of money)

Do you remember reading about how some people used to pay their visit to the doctor visit with a chicken? Or that Mrs. Smith baked a couple of apple pies in exchange for a quilt made by the lady down the road? Well, in today's economy, bartering is making a serious comeback in some places.

Back in March when we were getting ready for Goose's wedding, and we had a shower here, a shower there, dinner here, luncheons, etc. The cost for all of these things can be a little mind-boggling at times.

Well, when we went to finally went to get our hair trials done for the wedding, I asked my hairstylist and good friend, A, how much all of this was going to cost me when she was done. I was flabbergasted! Jokingly, I said, "Hey, would you like to barter with me for everything I need to have done to my hair from now until the wedding so I don't have to take out a small loan?" "Hmmm?" she said. "What can you do? What do you make?"

"Let's make this easy," I said. "What do YOU NEED to have done/made?" "Hmmm.....wait a minute, I have just the thing. I need pillows for my window seat re-covered. I have the material and everything. Do you think you could do 5 pillows for me?" "ABSOLUTELY!" I replied! I really think I got the better end of the deal!

Here is a picture of one of the pillows that I re-covered for my friend. We both got something that we needed, and neither of us had to lay out any money.

I think I will see next if my dentist will barter to fix my missing tooth! I'll never know unless I ask!!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to get what you need. I might have to try this method too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I like the sound of that. I wonder what my dentist would like to have done for him.

    I can bake, I have a few antiques, let's see...

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!