Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Farm Happenings and My Downy Quilt

I am sorry that I have not been by to visit most of you lately, but I have been praying for you! Life has seemed to happen in a big way recently. So much going on....so much to do! But please know that I am here and all is well! God is WONDERFUL and is doing some amazing things in our lives!

PRAISE HIS NAME - FATHER I GIVE YOU ALL THE GLORY!

Okay, now for the quilt. As you know, I am participating in the Downy Quilts for Kids Challenge. I have had so much fun puthing this adorable quilt together.

Remember the kit?



My precious friend, Daisy is participating in the challenge as well, so she came over and we spent the day sewing. Well, not just sewing as we can ALWAYS find something to do. We did, however, complete the quilt tops in just a couple of hours. Hers took about 2 hours and mine took about 4 since I was doing laundry and and some other things at the same time, and my little mistake (keep reading)! As you can see, our quilts were almost exactly the same. The only difference between them was the color of the solid squares; hers were green and mine were yellow



I borrowed my sister's machine because mine needs to be cleaned. I didn't realize her presser foot was LARGER than mine, so when I thought I was sewing a 1/4 inch seam, I was actually sewing a 1/2 inch seam. I didn't realize it until AFTER, when I tried to line the squares up! I am such a knucklehead! lol After a little "resizing" of my solid squres, we were good to go again. The only difference in our quilts when we were finished, was that mine was just a wee bit smaller! :> )

Here is my finished quilt top, along with the fabric for the backing. Since this picture was taken, I have completed the back, and I am now just finishing up the quilting part to give it more stability and then I am finished. I showed the information to our Women's Ministry Leader and I am so excited that she has taken an interest in this challenge as well. We are going to see how many ladies are interested, order the kits, and make a day of it.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

6 comments:

  1. I'm working on my Downy Quilt, too. I ordered mine as soon as I read your first post about it.

    It's been crazy busy here, too. Been helping Casey, a new mom for the 2nd time. Her baby is having a lot of trouble with reflux, so she hangs out with me so I can take turns holding him while he cries. Poor baby... She has an appointment at the university for him on Monday, which makes me feel much better.

    Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    How funny, I think our quilts are the same as mine has yellow material in it as well. They are all nuts and bolts quilts so I am guessing they are for boys or mechanically inclined girls!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl...if I get real worried...Sitka and I will sniff you out...hahaha.

    Hope you have a wonderfully blessed weekend. I am thankful to have found you in blog land. GOD is awesome binding all our hearts together...what a family HE has created.
    Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that quilt is precious! Wish I had that kind of talent.

    Thanks again, Laura for that song. It's really been haunting me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's lovely, well done. I am so impressed. I wouldn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Laura.

    Friday I finished that quilt I started a few weeks back... remember the one I got the fabric to make for my son when he was born... the son who is turning 7 in April! Ha. What a great feeling to finish it at last, though.

    Yours looks great and actually with the colors reminds me a lot of mine. I will be posting pics soon. But first I have 4 Easter outfits to sew...

    Hugs,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!