Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Homemade Rice Pudding

For school last week, we took a day to review some life skills and then to add in some new ones. One of the things I want Kiddo to learn to do, is to not be afraid to use the stove. Right now, I don't let him use the stove or try and help with the wood stove for fear that the kitchen stove will be left on, or if he tries to put wood into the wood stove, that embers will "pop" and come out on to the carpet and, well......you know the rest.

So, little by little, I am trying to teach him how to be more responsible, and "LET GO" at the same time. I have to admit, it's NOT an easy task!

When reviewing the proper use of the stove, I thought perhaps that if we made something that he REALLY liked, he might pay more attention to what was being said, because then, he would be able to EAT the end result. If he didn't, and we burnt it, he got nothing. My, oh, my.....did he pay the BEST attention to what I was telling him when I said we would make rice pudding! Such a man. Their ears perk right up when you mention.........FOOOOOOD! lol

For this DELICIOUS recipe, you will need:

4 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
(not converted)
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
cinnamon



Warm the milk in a medium-sized saucepan
over med-low heat

Stir in rice

Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently,
until the rice is very tender, about 35 minutes

In a med-sized bowl, whisk together the egg,
sugar, vanilla, and salt

Gradually stir in some of the rice mixture
until well blended

Pour mixture into serving bowl or custard cups and
sprinkle with cinnamon if desired

YUMMM!!!



MckLinky Blog Hop

14 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy!!

    God bless your mommy heart, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good to me. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is nuts about this stuff! I guess I should be a good wife and make it, eh?

    Love the new look here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks gawwwwjus! I'll have to make it myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    This looks so easy and sounds so yummy! I can't wait to try it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting the recipe and directions.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't sound to hard to make and looks delicious. I will have to try this. I put a star on this one.
    My son-in-law loves rice pudding.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love rice pudding, and that recipe looks
    just delicious.

    thank you,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandma used to make delicious rice pudding...I have never given it a try, but your pics make me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Aunt Laura,
    You won the guessing game! Please come and see your virtual prize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband would love this recipe. He's a big rice pudding fan. He's the only one in our house who likes it! Found you through the Tues. blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great recipe Laura and such a good way to add a skill set!! Well done my friend. How was the pudding?? It looks mah vel ous dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I love rice pudding. I haven't made it in years. Our pastor used to make it for every potluck at our old church. It was soooo good.

    Do you like custard? I have a recipe for Get Well Custard that is to die for. Ur suppose to make it for sick people and take it to them to help them get well. I just love eating it.

    I bet Kiddo enjoyed his lesson and the results.

    Take care & thanks for the prayers. Now I've joined the ranks of the sick ones. I think it's a cold & I hope it only lasts the normal length of a cold. The other two are still coughing, but they rest pretty quietly at night with the cough syrup.

    We had to take my daughter to the DR again to get some more and have him check her out again. He says they just have to ride it out...ugh!

    Nannette

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!