Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Freezer Pickles

I searched the internet last year to find something to do with all the cucumbers we were blessed with, when I came upon this wonderful recipe for pickles you make in the freezer. Yes, that's what I said................THE FREEZER! As soon as I found this recipe, we just HAD to make it!

This recipe is super easy and produces a nice, sweet pickle that goes well in salads, have on the side, or even use it on sandwiches. I have used it on my hamburgers and have even used it in my tuna salad and it is fantastic! I wanted to post my source for this recipe, but when I went on-line to see if they had any other delicious recipes for cucumbers, I found out that they were no longer up and running.

Okay, for this recipe you will need:

  • 2 quarts cucumbers, peeled (optional) and thinly sliced. This recipe works well with any kind of cucumber.
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced

  • 1 tablespoon salt (table salt, canning salt, or kosher salt can be used)

  • 1-1/2 cups sugar

  • 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar

In a large mixing bowl, mix cucumbers, onions, and salt. Cover with plastic wrap and set on the counter for 2 hours. Drain and put back into rinsed bowl. In separate bowl, combine sugar and vinegar, stirring well. Pour sugar mixture over cucumbers and toss gently. Put cucumbers into freezer containers or zip-lock bags. Freeze immediately. Pickles are ready in 3-4 days. Just thaw and eat. If you wish to freeze for a later date, these can be kept in the freezer for up to a year.

I have made this recipe where I have frozen the pickles, and also where I have made it and then put them in jars to be eaten whenever. I prefer to eat them without being frozen as they are crunchier, however they are delicious either way!

I pray that our Heavenly Father will bless all your gardens with an abundant harvest this season!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds good. My daughter is a pickel finatic. We will have to try that with our cucumbers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 09, 2009

    LOL Thats the exact way I do mine lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are sooooooooooo GOOD! :> )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, they sound yummy!

    Glad you found that recipe. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't like sand? Well I don't get down in it anymore like my daughter does. So I don't get sandy anymore.

    Those pickles look familiar. I'm sure my mom made those at least once. Sweet & crunchy! Sounds good and easy too.

    Asever,
    Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sand, tinsel, and Easter grass....IT'S ALWAYS THERE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!