Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Preserving Eggs

"If you know how your grandmother did it,
you will survive!"

Author Unknown


I am so blessed that our hens are laying so well for us. Gena is actually an "overachiever" and her eggs have been double yokes. lol

As we will soon find ourselves with an overabundance of eggs, I will be giving some away to family and friends and some will be sold. However, I needed to find a method to preserve them. I have found ways from dipping them in wax, layering them in finely ground preservative such as salt, bran, or finely ground oats, to varnishing them. I also read about storing them in finely ground plaster of Paris, but that's not really something I normally have on hand. You can also store your eggs in a covered container and keep in a cool, dry place if you have the space.

I did find a method, however, that I can easily do. Just crack the eggs into ice cube trays and freeze! Did you know that you can freeze them? I sure didn't. Once frozen, you can transfer them to a plastic freezer bag. You can also put several into a plastic container and freeze them that way to, but don't forget to label how many eggs are inside for future reference.

When you’re ready to use them in your favorite recipe, just take out the amount needed and let them thaw in the fridge. Frozen, they will last for at least 6 months.

WOO HOO! Now I won't have to be without eggs ever again! :> )

2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful information. I did not know you could freeze them like that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could freeze them! Thanks for letting us know! :)

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!