Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Nesting Boxes and A SURPRISE!!

About three weeks ago, I went out to the chicken coop to start cleaning it out, getting it ready for Skippy to put in the nesting boxes. Okay, ladies.....EVERYBODY OUT!)

Now according to when we got our pullets, our girls should not have started to lay their eggs until the end of September, the beginning of October.

Well, you can guess how "SURPRISED" I was when I went out and saw Gena laying on the top of the wood shavings bag. I didn't notice anything at first, but on my way out, I noticed something on top of the shavings. I had to do a double take, not really believing what I saw. Sitting there, on top, was an EGG!. The first thing I did was text My Skippy Man to let him know that we couldn't wait till that weekend to put up the nesting boxes as planned, but we had to do them NOW! lol

Skippy had already built the boxes the week before, so thankfully, all we had to do now was put them up.




While we were setting the boxes, the girls were outside having a good time in their run.












After the boxes were hung, it was time to add fresh shavings to them and to the floor.



















Okay, ladies.......time to come back in and take a look? I wonder if they'll like them?






Hmmm.....looks to me like they do! lol

EGG COUNT UPDATE: Since the boxes were put in, we've had 3 dozen eggs! WOO HOO!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all the fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the price of eggs right now you have a GOLD mine ... how many hens do you have and do you have a nesting box for EACH one or just 4 for 8 chickens?
    God bless ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool! I've always thought it would be neat to have chickens. :) Is a chicken and a hen the same thing?! And you must have a rooster? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, you're doing really well! We had our first duck egg today. I wasn't expecting one until after Christmas really, they are very young and I thought the cold weather would put them off, but obviously not. And don't you find they taste so much better than shop bought?
    Also, I love the new banner at the top of your page, so I've added one to my blog, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!