Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Home Made Fabric Softener.....You CAN Make It!!!

Hi, all! Or should that be, "Hi, Ya'll!" lol This entry is the companion post to home made laundry detergent..........Home made fabric softener. I have tried different recipes and I feel they all work about the same, so it will just be a matter of personal choice.

This is the recipe that I use and I really like it!

Home Made Fabric Softener

6 cups water

3 cups distilled white vinegar (this is what makes your clothes soft)

2 cups hair conditioner ( yes, that's right......hair conditioner)

I used an old plastic milk jug for this but you can use whatever you wish. I measured out 6 cups of warm water and put that into my milk jug. I then measured out 3 cups of vinegar into a glass my glass measuring cup, added my 2 cups of conditioner (I used one with a lavendar scent) and stirred them together making the conditioner easier to pour into the milk jug. Now shake. You will get some sudsing on the top, but that is ok. Just shake before each use. This WILL have a slight vinegar smell to it but don't worry, your clothes won't smell like it. I have added more water and less vinegar sometimes depending on the strength of the scent of the conditioner I use, because I have always HATED the smell of vinegar!!! And to think I have to use it in soooo many of my home made cleaning items. Go figure!

How do I use my fabric softener? I fill up an old pump detergent bottle, and I also use a spray bottle. It depends on the mood that I am in and whichever is closest to grab, but I do prefer the spray as it is easier to handle. I then take a wet wash cloth (which I normally have in the wash any way because I am FOREVER washing them) and I either squirt a little bit of softener on the cloth, or three pumps of the spray (this is called a re-usable dryer sheet). Then, if I am drying the load completely, I just toss it in the dryer and PRESTO......no static cling and my clothes smell fresh. If I am hanging them up/out like I normally do, I put the fabric softener in the rinse cycle, (I prefer to put it in the wash when I add my detergent so I won't forget it....hmmm....me forget something? lolol) and dry them in the dryer for 5 minutes before hanging them up to get the wrinkles out.

Well, there you have it........Home made fabric softener. See, you CAN make it!! Do you have a different recipe that you would like to share with us? Please feel free to do so. And if you try this recipe..........PLEASE Let me know what you think!! I really like it!!



P.S. I have also heard about wadding up three balls of aluminum foil and putting them in your dryer to eliminate static cling. I have not used it yet, but I am willing to give it a try. Now I will REALLY have a hard time keeping Kitty out of the dryer! R O F L O L !!

5 comments:

  1. Laura all these helpful tips. I love reading what you have to offer. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made any. May just have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot think of one good reason why I shouldn't try this. Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Laura

    It's so good to meet you.
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog home. I really liked this first post that I've read. I think I'll try it when I get low on the sheets my husband likes me to use. I make my own detergent; but, hubby likes the smell of fabric softener sheets. This just might work for both of us!

    I'm off to read more of your blog. I think I may have found a new favorite!

    Your new blog friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,
    Thank you for sharing your tips!I have not tried this but will.
    Love your new blog background. I LOVE Fall!
    Enjoy your day.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!