Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Price Of Children

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted!"
Garrison Keillor


I got an e-mail today, from my precious friend, Barb, and it is so good, I just HAVE to share it with you!

Here is something absolutely positive for a change. Having repeatedly seen the breakdown of the cost of raising a child, it was nice to see for the first time, the rewards listed in this way. It's nice.... !

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth
to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about
price shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140.00 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:
* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month,
* $171.08 a week.
* A mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is: don't have children
if you want to be 'rich'.
Actually, it is just the opposite.

What do you get for your $160,140.00?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how
your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140.00, you never have to grow up.
You get to:
* finger-paint,
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs,
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.
You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watch Saturday morning cartoons,
* go to Disney movies, and
* wish on stars..

You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets
and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in
clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For a mere $24.24 a day, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to
be a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and
* coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice
cream regardless.

You get a front row seat in history to witness the:
* First step,
* First word,
* First bra,
* First date,
* First time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree,
and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called
grandchildren and great- grandchildren.

You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice,
communications, and human sexuality that no college can match..

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the
power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a
broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them
without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the
cost.

That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!

Love & enjoy your children, grandchildren, & great-grandchildren!!!!!!!
It's the best investment you'll ever make!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Laura,

    It is so true! Children are priceless. My mother always said we were her masterpieces.
    I believe it is not this costly to raise children anyway…not if you are the thrifty type…which I know from reading your blog that would include YOU. ☺

    I was trying to think what I like about this list most…that is a difficult choice…there is so much joy in having children. It is delightful to get to be someone’s hero…isn’t it? But what I love most I think, it the pure love I get from them; and knowing I can have this love eternally when we are all together in heaven.

    I keep meaning, Laura, to say how great it is that you have 7 siblings! I know you mentioned your sisters before, but I was not sure of the total children. 8 is a wonderful number…I always wanted more…at the very least 6, but really in my mind I thought it would be a higher number.

    There are so many wonderful benefits from growing up in a large family that I think smaller families miss out on. I am sure you know what I mean because you have a lifetime group of friends that you know you can always count on…they already know everything about you and love you anyway. ☺ That is what I like best.

    You left such a long comment on my post…what a fun girl you are! Thank you for being such a dear! I loved reading your response.

    Have a great weekend!
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - this is the BEST list EVER! Thanks and I will link it to my blog as I LOVE it.
    Peeps seem increasingly to think of baby's/children as dogs and cats ... not HUMAN! :0)
    I loves children - they are our future - treat them lovingly and discipline them and you will have GREAT reward. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very true. That was an awesome thing to share with us. I'm looking at my kids a little differently now.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!