Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Amish chocolate Chip Bars


"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it for someone else!"
Amish Proverb

I bought a new cookbook the other day, and I just LOVE IT! I have already tried a bunch of the recipes and they are wonderful! But my favorite so far are these Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars.

I went to a friend's house yesterday and wanted to bring something with me so I searched through and found this recipe for the chip bars. You will NOT be disappointed. The first day they are delicious, soft and oooey gooey, but the second day, they are a bit firmer and lightly crunchy and, in my opinion, MORE DELICIOUS than the day before. If that's possible! lol

For this recipe you will need:

1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used butter)
1 cup brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional (I made 12/ the pan with nuts, and 1/2 without as Skippy does not like walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350*F. In mixing bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add water, vanilla, and egg yolks (reserve whites in separate bowl). Beat for 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Spread into lightly greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and blend well. Carefully spread over chocolate chips. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake for 35 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cut with a sharp knife while still hot. Yields 3 dozen bars. (HA! Not in my house it didn't!) lol

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Laura!
    Thanks for this recipe! it must be delicious!!!

    Blessings,
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Manuela~

    I have missed your posts, my friend! I hope all is well with you!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh where can I get that book at :)

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!