Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Freezer Pickles

I went searching the internet trying to find something to do with all the cucumbers we were blessed with, when I came upon this wonderful recipe for pickles you make in the freezer.  Yes, that's what I said................THE FREEZER!   As soon as I found this recipe, we just HAD to make it! It is super easy and produces a crisp, sweet pickle that goes well in salads, have on the side, or even use it on sandwiches.  I have used it on my hamburgers and have even used it in my tuna salad and it is fantastic! 


The secret to the crisp texture to these pickels, is the sugar.  So whatever you do, DO NOT reduce the amount of sugar.  This recipe works well with any kind of cucumber.

Ok, for this recipe you will need:
  • 2 quarts cucumbers, peeled (optional) and thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon salt (table salt, canning salt, or kosher salt can be used)
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
In a large mixing bowl, mix cucumbers, onions, and salt.  Cover with plastic wrap and set on the counter for 2 hours.  Drain and put back into rinsed bowl.  In separate bowl, combine sugar and vinegar, stirring well.  Pour sugar mixture over cucumbers and toss gently.  Put cucumbers into freezer containers or zip-lock bags.  Freeze immediately.  Pickles are ready in 3-4 days. Just thaw and eat.  If you wish to freeze for a later date, these can be kept in the freezer for up to a year.

I have made this recipe where I have frozen the pickles, and also where I have made it and then put them in jars to be eaten whenever.  I prefer to eat them without being frozen, however they are delicious either way!


2 comments:

  1. wow! i never would have imagined this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so different. Thank you, I think I will try this one!

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!