Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Liquid Dish Soap

First, I want to apologize for this mish-mosh of pictures. I have been having serious issues uploading my pictures with photobucket for the past few days and I am NOT happy! I found www.photovisi.com, but as you can, I don't know WHAT I'm doing! LOL

Ok, with that said, let's get on the making some liquid dish soap! I really liked using this recipe for a few reasons; because it is really a simple one, not only in ingredients, but in effort as well. Also, because it is very economical, costing me around .50 cents to make 1 1/2 quarts. I purchased a 6 oz. bottle of glycerin at Wal-Mart for $3.12. (it can be found in the first aide aisle), and I grated a bar of soap that I had purchased in a multi-pack on sale awhile back for my laundry detergent. You only use 1 tablespoon of glycerin per batch, which comes to .26 cents a tablespoon, added to the approximate cost of .25 cents for the grated soap. WOO HOO! That is definitely a price this "frugal female" can handle!

This recipe I used, changes hard bar soap into liquid soap with the addition of the glycerin. You will need the following ingredients for one batch:

*1 cup of grated bar soap or soap flakes
*1 1/2 quarts water
*1 tablespoon of glycerin

Materials you will need:
*a large saucepan
*a cup measure
*tablespoon
*a glass jar w/lid, or suitable container w/lid
*stick blender (emulsifier)

Mix water, grated soap, and glycerin in large saucepan over low heat until soap is completely dissolved. Stir occasionally until mixture is smooth in texture. Pour into container, cover. Let cool overnight, bringing mixture to room temperature.In the morning, the mixture will be a thick, milky gel. Mine was actually VERY THICK, as you can see in the first picture in the second collage box. I used my emulsifier for a good 5 minutes, making sure to get ALL the lumps out. You want your liquid to be smooth. See the difference between the first and the third pic? WOO HOO. . . . .we have liquid dish soap!

Pour your soap into whatever resealable container or decorative decanter you want to use. I used an old plastic dish soap and iced tea bottle, but still had a little left over. I know I have another small one around here somewhere!

***
If you would like to make a thinner soap recipe, just add a bit of extra warm water and shake. This would be great for a hand pump in the bathroom.

I used my soap this morning to wash the breakfast dishes and a greasy pan and I had no trouble at all. You can bet I'll be making my own liquid dish soap from now on!

5 comments:

  1. Thats How I make mine. I use Ivory soap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the laundry detergent, but never thought about dish soap. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Renee.....Hi, Cathy~

    I found this the other day and I thought I had it bookmarked somewhere, but I can't find it. I know it was on a farm blog that started with an H, I think! lol

    I love the laundry detergent too and have only used store bought in maybe three loads in the past 4 years or so. I love the fact that I can change the scent anytime I want! :> )

    Blessings, ladies~
    Laur

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool. I have never done that!
    Does it work well? It must :)
    xxoo
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to give it a try. Love to save money and every little bit helps. Thanks for sharing.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!