Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Homemade Brown Sugar


I don't know about you but this time of year I go through a TON of brown sugar. It seems like everything I make in the month of December calls for brown sugar in the recipe. As I was visiting Mia over at Aspiring Homemaker, I came across this recipe for brown sugar and just had to give it a try. It is so simple and easy to make.

Brown Sugar:
For every 1 cup sugar,
add 1 1/2 TBSP molasses



Put both ingredients in a bowl, blend together.







I was very pleased with the way it came out. The texture and the way it packs is exactly like store bought brown sugar. The only difference is that there is a bit of molasses smell to it. My sister suggested adding a little vanilla flavoring to it, but I have not tried that yet.
Have any of you ever made and used your own brown sugar before? I never have before, but you knew that this frugal female just COULDN'T pass it up!


5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's it? That's how ya do it?

    COOOL! Good to know, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have done this in a pinch when we were out and in the middle of a recipe. Actually, we've learned a lot of neat tricks in the kitchen that way over the years. You would think we would learn to check for the ingredients before we start baking, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I must hang on to this one. Thanks for sharing. Have a merry christmas my friend. I am on break til the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, your receipe sounds so very good. Blessings and Merry Christmas dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this was possible! Thank you so much, I can't wait to try it...

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!