Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Friday, May 22, 2009

Nana's Banana Bread

The other day when Skippy and I went grocery shopping at Food Lion, they had overripened (sp) bananas on sale, so I bought 2 pounds of them. After I brought them home, I realized they were not as ripe as I would like them to be so I put them on a plate and layed them on the counter until today. I have so desperately wanted to make my mom's banana bread recently.

Every Christmas, she would make the banana bread and I would make the apple butter and we would give them out to our family and friends as gifts. Mom passed away in 2004 and I have not been able to make it until now. (Love and miss you bunches, Mom!)

I don't know how many of you like banana bread so I thought I would share her recipe in the off chance that someone might say....."OMGosh, they look really good. I just HAVE to try that recipe!" LOL So, here's Nana's recipe for banana bread!

1 3/4 cups all-purppose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt, set aside.


In the mixer bowl, beat sugar and shortening with electric mixer till light, scraping sides of bowl often.

Add eggs, one at a time, and the milk, beating till smooth after each addition.

Add flour mixture and banana alternately to creamed mixture, beating till smooth after each addition.



Fold in nuts. Turn batter into a lightly greased 8x4x2-iinch loaf pan.

Bake in a 350* oven for 60-65 minutes or till a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.

Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool. For easier slicing, wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf. ENJOY!

As you can see by the next two pictures, I couldn't make just ONE loaf, I had to make FOUR! LOL


Don't they look scrumpdilyicious! Mmmmmmmm!

Blessings~

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I hate to bake... but love to eat. It's ALMOST lunchtime here in Texas, and I'm STARVING! These pictures, sure did NOT help my stomach. Looks YUMMY! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Sorry, I didn't mean to type with my mouth full! :>O

    These really are good, especially with nuts, and I don't mean eating the bread sitting with my DH and son! LOL

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!