Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Corn Chowder

I am a soup LOVER, but my family is not, so we don't really have it that often. When we do, it's usually homemade chicken, turkey, or taco soup. Once in awhile I'll make potato or broccoli and cheddar just for ME!

Another soup I love is corn chowder. While I was looking through my "Homelife" magazine I picked up at church, I found a recipe that just looks so gooood and so EASY that I just HAVE to try it! Since My Skippy Man will be gone on Saturday, I think I may make it then.

For this recipe, you will need:

6 pieces of bacon, sliced into thin slivers
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 cup flour
8 cups chicken stock
3 bay leaves
3 cups new potatoes, diced
3 cups fresh corn, cut off the cob (or 3 cups frozen corn)
2 cups ham, diced
1 cup half & half
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Tabasco sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

In a stock pot over medium heat, cook bacon until almost crisp. Stir in onions, celery, carrots, and bell pepper. Season vegetables with salt and cayenne, and saute 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir 5 minutes to full cook flour.

Slowly add chicken stock, whisk-in to dissolve any lumps. Add bay leaves, potatoes, corn, and ham. Cover pot and simmer 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in half & half and parsley. Simmer another 5 minutes. Stir in Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Remove bay leaves before serving.

This recipe make 8 - 10 servings

I will let you know how it turns out! Do you have a soup/chowder/stew recipe that you would like to share with us? Please leave a comment, along with a link to your post so we can come and drool!


Photo courtesy of "Fine Cooking"

2 comments:

  1. That really sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good. Let us know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!