Our Precious Grandblessings

Our Precious Grandblessings

With God at the center of our lives, even the simplest of things are infused with peace and joy!

❤

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Canning Potatoes

Skippy had gotten a 50 lb bag of potatoes on sale over at Jon Henry General Store a few weeks ago. I have been intermittently putting them up and using them for meals. Today we are finishing up the canning process.   

Because potatoes are low-acid, they can't be processed in a water bath like pickles, jams or other canning projects with sufficient acidity.  I processed 5 quarts of potatoes at 10 lbs of pressure for 40 minutes.  

I will be "attempting" to dehydrate the remaining potoatoes for chips and scalloped potatoes. I say attempting because I have never tried it before. A dear friend blessed me with one of her dehydrators and My Skippy Man blessed me with one for Christmas.  I am also going to make potato flakes as well, which will be great to take with us camping.  They will take up much less space and will weigh less than bringing a 5 or 10 lb bag.   

I am looking forward to having fun over the next few weeks dehydrating meats and veggies and also making jerky and fruit powders.   

How many of you have a dehydrator?  What's your favorite fruit/veggie/meat to dehydrate?



No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME! Pull up a chair and stay awhile......the coffee's on and the door is always open!